Hospital Emergency Response Team Train-the-Trainer, Anniston, AL 2022
March 27, 2022 @ 5:00 am - April 2, 2022 @ 11:00 pmFree
The Hospital Emergency Response Training for Mass Casualty Incidents (HERT) course addresses healthcare response at the operations level for the facility and its personnel. This three-day course prepares healthcare responders to utilize the Hospital Incident Command System — integrating into the community emergency response network while operating an Emergency Treatment Area as hospital first responders during a mass casualty incident involving patient contamination. The healthcare responders will determine and use appropriate personal protective equipment and conduct triage followed by decontamination of ambulatory and non-ambulatory patients as members of a Hospital Emergency Response Team.
Below are some, but not all, of the critical skill sets learned during this training program:
- Analyze the need, composition, and use of a Hospital Emergency Treatment Team during an emergency, mass casualty incident, or disaster situation.
- Summarize the organization and operation of the Hospital Incident Command System as it integrates with the Incident Command System during response to mass casualty incident.
- Differentiate the medical responses to a variety of illnesses and injuries that may result from a mass casualty incident.
- Select and use the appropriate level of personal protective equipment as hospital first receivers in response to a disaster involving patient contamination.
- Structure the healthcare facility Emergency Treatment Area to support medical operations in response a mass casualty incident.
- Establish a Hospital Emergency Response Team that meets all safety requirements, provides security to the hospital, and efficiently manages patients for processing into the hospital facility for follow-up treatment.
- Compare decontamination methods and procedures.
- Perform Simple Triage and Rapid Treatment© (START) and JumpSTART procedures within the Emergency Treatment Area during a hospital response to a mass casualty incident involving contamination.
- Conduct operations in an Emergency Treatment Area while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment in response to a mass casualty incident involving contamination.
- Conduct an effective medical response to a mass casualty incident using the Hospital Emergency Response Team approach.
Prerequisites and Requirements
To be eligible for the course, the student must successfully complete the following courses: